At CPT, our microbiology division offers unique capabilities based on our clients’ evolving needs. Offering decades of experience, we specialize in pharmaceuticals, personal care products, OTC products, specialty chemical and medical device industries.
Within our advanced, comprehensive testing facility, we provide all aspects of microbiology testing and consulting. Not only does our microbiology department adhere to FDA, EPA and International Client Custom programs, but this division also offers unique programs based on unusual products or production issues.
Based on our clients’ needs, we can run a wide range of studies and tests. Here are some key examples of how we help our clients develop and launch quality, safe products.
- In-vitro time kill — We offer testing methods to determine the time-kill or rate of bacterial activity in regards to a disinfectant or antimicrobial material. We help our clients test their product or a dilution of their product by exposing it to both aerobic and anaerobic microorganisms.
- Zone of inhibition — This highly controlled method tests a product’s ability to inhibit bacterial growth and can determine key antibiotic properties. When examining the clear region of a sample, this indicates the absence of bacterial growth. Where the bacteria are killed or unable to grow, this is known as the zone of inhibition and reflects antibacterial success.
- Minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) — This method determines the lowest required concentration of a specific chemical by analyzing the visible growth of bacteria. In terms of drug discoveries, studying MICs often allows for the development of larger preclinical trials and more advanced antimicrobial studies.
- Topical antimicrobial testing — While testing hand rubs and hand sanitizers, both microbial and clinical testing is recommended. This will not only verify their efficacy but also address safety and labeling claims.
- Antiplaque and Antigingivitis studies — Developing products such as a mouthwash or denture cleanser will require antimicrobial research to verify claims and safety, while adhering to regulatory guidelines.
- Acne studies — When launching a topical antimicrobial treatment, acne studies can help determine the greatest safety and efficacy profile. Designing specialized studies can also help determine the efficacy and safety of key active ingredients, which is what we offer our clients.
- Custom research projects/client specific protocols — Based on the unique and varied needs of our clients, custom research is offered in addition to regulatory consulting services. Our expert, certified staff can help design and execute unique testing conditions through reliable methods and advanced training.